Sunday, April 6, 2008

The BUG!!!

Sharing deep thoughts with her bug!
I guess the bug said something funny...
Here is a close-up of the mommy/daddy replacer...
it doesn't even have a full smile!

So it seems that Vimal and I have been replaced. I always knew it would happen--that someday she'd have a best friend who told her how uncool her parents were or she'd fall in love with some boy and not have enough time for her parents anymore. I was prepared for that. But, I wasn't prepared to be replaced so early on in her life...and by a half-smirking, crinkly old bug! But, it's true, Ellis prefers this bug over her parents. Everytime we put her in her chair she will sit for long stretches at a time and stare/laugh/giggle/smile/talk to this bug! The only solace I have is that, eventually, the bug says or does something that pisses her off and she'll start yelling at it and then, only then, either Vimal or I can swoop in and save the day. But within a few hours she's back to loving her bug and we're back to trying to convince ourselves, and each other, that just because our daughter would rather spend time with a bug does not, in and of itself, make us bad parents.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the Bug is a Butterfly! I can only hope that one day Ellis will look at me that way.

Love, Nonna x/o

Anonymous said...

I know how disconcerting it can be! Back when my daughter was a baby it was a strawberry shortcake doll. Then, in what seemed like a very short time there was this boy...let's see...I seem to recall that he had a very curious first name...I think it started with a V....