Saturday, March 8, 2008

She's a Golden Pig--No Really, She Is!

With my former co-workers at the annual Chinese New Year party
Ellis with her best buddy, Joanna
A perfect gift for a Pig (from Vimal's boss)
Stretching and smiling after a big party (My new favorite photo!)

Tonight, Vimal and I went to a (belated) Chinese New Year party at my old workplace. We had a lot of fun and Ellis was definitely the hit of the party! She, of course, loves the attention though you couldn't tell it because she slept through the whole thing! Anyways, I realized that Ellis was supposed to be born after Chinese New Year making her a Rat, but since I was induced early she is, instead, a Golden Pig (the golden part only happens once every 60 years and is supposed to be extremely lucky). I had to laugh about that since, when she's munching down on the bottle, I often call her Porky the Pig.

Following are a few characteristics of pigs, according to Chinese customs, that I hope she adopts:

1. They are usually honest, straightforward, and patient people
2. When others are in need, they are often there to offer support
3. They love nature
4. They are tolerant and peaceful
5. They are lively and warm-hearted people

I looked, just for curiosity sake, at some characteristics of Rats and this is what I found...

According to tradition, Rats often carry heavy karma and at some point in life may face an identity crisis or some kind of feeling of guilt. Rats are said to often have to work very long and hard for everything they may earn or have in life. Traditionally, Rats may face extreme hardships and suffering throughout life. Rats in general should guard themselves against hedonism and nostalgia, as it may lead to self-destruction. Gambling, alcohol and drugs tend to be great temptations to Rats.

All I have to say about that is...Thank God she's a Pig!

Erin

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's bro, and i thought i was her best buddy, but you're right that is the greatest pic... i miss the Phew... on another note , i feel like a rat, i wonder if i am ...

Auntie Asha said...

She is the most beautiful Ms. Piggy I have ever seen. Keep eating baby girl so you can catch up with your greedy cousins. Love, Auntie Asha

The Blackmons said...

You're too funny! Ellis, though a pig, certainly looks like a doll! I want to squeeze her she's so cute. I have one question, however...does this mean Baker is a rat?? Oh no! I hope not!

Anonymous said...

Awww...wish I were there to hold her if just for a moment. So glad to know you're all doing well. By the way, isn't it your birthday? Happy birthday!! Does mommy get to do anything special, like take a shower?